A 13-year-old girl died after attending a cheerleading banquet and eating a dessert she thought was “safe” for her to have.
Reese Langer from the US state of Idaho was diagnosed with food allergies when she was young.
On ReeseStrong, a remembrance page for the cheerleader, it said she was “great” at knowing what foods she could have and what she should avoid.
On May 16, she was at a cheerleader banquet where she ate a dessert, and had a severe allergic reaction. She died on May 20.
“We prayed for a miracle but in reality, we received that 13 years ago,” Reese’s mother Heather told CBS2.
“And we were so very blessed to have this beautiful soul in our lives.”
The 13-year-old enjoyed spending time with her family, they say she made everything “special”, whether it be camping, swimming, skiing, boating or walking the dogs.
“We will always remember her for her sweet spirit, pure heart and infectious smile. She lived life with the utmost kindness and innate ability to make those around her feel loved and included,” it says on ReeseStrong.
“If Reese were here today, she would want us all to know that life is short – live fully, be kind, love hard and always give with all of your heart.
“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal; love leaves a memory no one can steal.”
Awareness of food allergies
Friends and family gathered for a ceremony to celebrate Reese’s life, some taking the stage to speak about what the young girl meant to them, CBS2 reported.
ReeseStrong was set up to spread awareness about food allergies and help raise money to provide people with EpiPens.
By providing people with EpiPens, ReeseStrong hopes to relieve some of the financial burden for those who need them and foster a safe space to share knowledge about food allergies.
Do you have a story tip? Email: [email protected]